This recipes is my own vegetarian classic and a take on a fancier version of arrabiata; delicious smokey charred bullhorn capsicum, ripened baby tomatoes, red onion, garlic, fresh basil mixed with perfectly cooked al-dente classic spaghetti and freshly grated parmesan.
1/4 Cup Water
1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1/2 Cup Parmesan
1. Get your pasta water boiling add a dash of oil (to stop the stick and a pinch of salt). Cook with what is recommended on the packet, generally 10-12 minutes.
2. Heat a non stick frying pan on medium heat. Add a good glug of olive oil. Once hot add onion and garlic, fry until soft.
3. Whilst the onion is cooking. Heat a griddle pan with another good splash of olive oil. Once hot add the bullhorn capsicum and fry until blackened on either side. Generally about 3-4 minutes each side. Take off heat.
4. Add tomatoes to onion pan with balsamic vinegar. Should be a couple of minutes until soft. Add paprika, honey, good pinch of salt and pepper and half of the fresh basil. Stir well and then add cup of water. Turn heat down and leave to simmer until pasta is cooked.
5. Drain pasta, taste tomato sauce mix, if a little tart add a little more honey to sweeten. Load pasta into tomato sauce frying pan. Mix well together. Roughly chop the capsicum and throw half of it in the pasta mix.
6. Serve on large plate or still in frying pan and scatter with remaining basil leaves and capsicum. Serve with a side of freshly grated parmesan, salt and pepper.