You can’t go wrong with beetroot fries. They are a perfect alternative to their friends the potato fry! The combination of the spiced beetroot (using sumptuous SOUK spice) combined with a greek yoghurt, horseradish and garlic dip is the perfect combination to add to a BBQ this summer, movie feast or a great side to a burger, steak or meat dish. I also make a corking beetroot dip, grab the recipe here.
There are so many nutritious benefits to beetroot. Read more about it here.
*Beetroot contains lots of important nutrients including vitamins A, B6, C, E and K as well as protein, folate, dietary fibre, calcium, iron and potassium. Some preliminary research shows that they have been known to help defend cells against harmful carcinogens. Studies have also shown that they have high levels of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agents within.
Try these next time you are craving a salty hot chip, you will be surprised with how good they are.
1 Tsp Coconut Oil
3 -4 Medium Size Raw Beetroot, leaves cut off and skins left on, washed, cut into chip size slices
2-3 Garlic Cloves, peeled and left whole
1 Tsp Souk Spice
Pinch of Sea Salt
Pinch of Freshly Ground Pepper
2 Sprigs fresh thyme leaves to serve
For the dip:
2 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
1 Tbsp Horseradish sauce
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
1 Garlic Clove, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. On a baking tray add beetroot, whole garlic cloves, coconut oil and souk spice, sea salt and pepper. Toss beetroot around until its all covered.
- Whack in the oven for 35 minutes, until soft and browned on the outside.
- Whilst the beetroot is roasting, make your dip. Add all ingredients (yoghurt, horseradish, lemon and garlic) mix well together and season with some salt and pepper if needed.
- Beetroot chips should be done by now, remove from oven and place on a plate, finish with sprinkling on fresh thyme leaves.
- Serve with horseradish dip on the side.