Today is my favourite person’s birthday. Carrot and Walnut Cake with cream cheese frosting was the request and my golly it was finger licking good. The delicious recipe goes as follows.
1 Cup Self Raising Flour
1/2 Cup Plain Flour
1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1 Tsp Cinnamon
3 Medium Carrots, finely grated
100g Walnuts, roughly chopped
2 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
3/4 Sunflower or Light Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
For the frosting:
250g Full or Light Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Icing Sugar
1. Turn oven to 160c. Grease a 22-24cm round tin. In a large mixing bowl. Add self raising, plain, bicarb of soda, cinnamon, grated carrot and walnuts. Mix well together.
2. In another mixing bowl add the vanilla essence, brown sugar, oil, eggs and honey. Mix well with an electric mixer.
3. Mix the dry and wet bowls together.
4. Pour in the mixture into cake tin and pop in the oven for 1h10 minutes. Check at one hour how the cake is doing.
5. Once the cake is cooked (browned and springy, and runs clear if spiked). Leave to cool on a wire rack.
6. For the cream cheese frosting add the cream cheese and icing sugar into a mixing bowl and blitz with a hand mixer until smooth. Smother on the cooled carrot cake.