My cheesy chickpea and cabbage bake with crusty toasted cheesy bread crust was certainly created with what I had in the fridge and pantry on the day.
Sometimes I love not really planning what recipe I am going to design. The combination of spicy curried aromas of the chickpeas combined with the cheesy crust was a match made in heaven.
Another perfect thrifty tailored bake that is great for meat-free days, serve this little number with a green garden salad and a simple vinaigrette and you have a scrumptious supper any night of the week.
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, finely sliced
1 Red Chilli. finely chopped
1 Heaped Tsp Paprika
1 Heaped Tsp Garam Masala
1 Heaped Tsp Curry Powder
1 Tin Chickpeas, drained and washed
1/2 Cup Water
1/4 White Cabbage, finely sliced
1 Tin Diced Tomatoes
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 Tsp Stock Powder
1 Tbsp Runny Honey
3/4 French Baguette, roughly chopped
70g Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
Sea Salt & Pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180c. In a large saucepan melt the coconut oil. Add garlic and chilli and let it sweat on a low to medium heat for 5 minutes until fragrant.
- Add paprika, garam masala and curry powder, followed by chickpeas, toss around in all the spices before adding 1/2 cup cold water to loosen all ingredients up. Let them sweat it out for 2-3 minutes before adding all of the cabbage.
- Once cabbage is in add the tin tomatoes, bring to the boil.
- Season to taste with the honey, salt and stock powder.
- When the seasoning is right, add the whole lot to a medium baking tray. Cover in the roughly chopped baguette and finish with a sprinkling of parmesan, sea salt and pepper. Whack in the oven for 25-30 minutes until browned and crispy on the outside.
- Serve with large green leaf garden salad and simple dressing.