Chicken Pie is one of my favourite comfort dishes. It is also a fabulous one to make if you have lots of leftovers after the Christmas indulgence. We had a roast chicken left over and what better way than to strip it and use the meat to make a chicken pie. A delicious combination of kale leaves, broccoli, onion, garlic, white sauce and chicken, sided with some minty peas is a wonderful one to whip out this Sunday night.
2 Pie Dishes, I love using these ones from Falcon Enamelware
2 Cups Leftover Roast Chicken, torn or chopped into small pieces
1 Cup Kale Leaves, washed and finely chopped
1 Broccoli, cut into small florets
1 Red Onion, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1 Tsp Stock Powder
2 Sheets of pre-made puff pastry, defrosted
2 Cups Frozen Peas
3-4 Mint Leaves, finely chopped
For the white sauce use my recipe here
1. Turn oven to 180c. In a small frying pan, add a dash of olive oil. Heat then add onions and garlic and fry until soft.
2. Add the broccoli and kale and fry for a further 5 minutes.
3. Make the white sauce using this recipe then add one teaspoon of stock powder to it and a good grind of pepper.
4. Grab yourself the pie dishes. Add the kale/onion combo to each one. Then add the leftover chicken.
5. Pour the pre-made white sauce in evenly into each pie dish covering the meat/veg combo.
6. Place the puff pastry sheets over the pie dishes ensuring the whole pie dish is covered. Seal by pressing a fork around the edge. Optional whisked egg can be painted onto the pastry to form shiny golden look!
7. Whack in the oven for 25 minutes until outside is golden brown.
8. Heat peas with boiling water for a couple of minutes. Once cooked, drain and add mint and small knob of butter. Stir well. Serve with pie