Everyone has a signature dish. For those who know me, I always love bringing a Chocolate Chilli Con Carne to the table. It is perfect dish for when you have a handful of friends around for dinner. The secret ingredient is a couple of squares of 90% dark chocolate.
You can make it the day before to get all the flavours dancing and mingling. Served with homemade guacamole, parmesan cheese, greek yoghurt, salsa and dolloped onto a baked potato and side salad. A great feast any day of the week. Can be served with rice, in tortillas or loaded on top of nachos.
Cheap and simple to make.
4 White Potatoes, washed & salted
250g Good Quality if not Organic Beef Mince
400g (1 Tin) Kidney Beans, drained and washed
2 Red Onions, finely chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Finely Chopped
1 Large Red Chilli, finely chopped
800g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
100g Tomato Paste
1 Stock Cube
50g 90% Lindt Dark Chocolate
Grated Parmesan Cheese to Serve
2 Dollops Greek Yoghurt to Serve per person
Handful Coriander to serve
1. Turn oven on to 180c, if you want to serve with potatoes, wash potatoes, prick them and rub with sea salt. Whack in oven for around an hour
2. Grab yourself a large and quite deep frying pan. Heat with olive oil. Add onion, chilli and garlic and fry until soft.
3. Add beef mince and fry until almost browned. Add kidney beans. Heat up for another couple of minutes.
4. Add tin tomatoes, tomato paste, one stock cube and bring to boil.
5. Let it simmer on a medium heat for 45 minutes until excess liquid has boiled down to a smooth silk looking consistency. Add dark chocolate and melt in. Season to taste, might need a little more salt or some honey to sweeten occasionally tart tomatoes.
6. Potatoes should be ready. Load up tatty with a good dollop of chilli con carne, greek yoghurt, sprinkling of parmesan, salt and pepper and finished off with some coriander.