Ginger bread men are such a cute little festive biscuit that you can have all year around. They make great gifts for mates and the best things about these ones is that there is no refined sugar, no gluten and they are also dairy free. Perfect for kids and even for adults.
I used buckwheat flour instead of normal flour, it is a great gluten free alternative for those who are intolerant. Its not actually related to wheat at all but is a seed from the spinach family. Buckwheat contains the flavanoid rutin which is believed to be beneficial for blood vessels. Have a loot at my other buckwheat recipe here.
Ginger nutritionally aids with a few symptoms, from helping with nausea and sickness and also is known to help block pro-inflammatory hormones. It is also great to have with colds and flu.
Maybe a scrumptious bikkie for tea breaks.
Enjoy as they are easy to make too.
Makes 15 Biscuits
Equipment: baking paper, gingerbread man cookie cutter, rolling pin and food processor
1 Cup Almond Meal
1 Cup Buckwheat Flour
1 Tsp Vanilla Paste or Extract
1 Tbsp Cacao Powder
2 Tbsp Fresh Ginger, finely grated
1 Heaped tsp ground ginger
1 Tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1 organic egg, lightly whisked
2 Tbsp honey
1/4 Cup Coconut Oil
8 Dates, pitted
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat oven to 180c. In a food processor, add almond meal, buckwheat flour, cacao powder, ginger, fresh ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, dates, sea salt and vanilla paste. Blitz until its a crumb-like consistency.
- Add you egg, coconut oil and honey and blitz until a dough like mixture.
- Lightly flour a smooth surface with some buckwheat flour, flour a rolling pin. Add your ginger bread dough to the surface. Roll into a big ball with your hands then roll our with rolling pin until about 1-2cm thick. Use your ginger bread man cookie cutter to get shape.
- Line a baking tray. Add each cookie to it. Make a face with a fork for buttons and eyes and teaspoon for mouth.
- With leftover dough, roll again and repeat method 3 & 4
- Place in oven for 7-10 minutes until firm to touch.
- Cool on a wire rack and serve.