I was experimenting at the end of last week with different hot cross bun recipes. I wanted to try out something without a man-made yeast starter and I didn’t have enough time to make my own.
The results were my own take on hot cross buns and I made it into a hot cross bun “loaf” its denser than what we normally know but its just as delicious, straight out of the oven smothered in butter its a winner.
Made from wholemeal organic flour (this is the best stuff to buy if you are making bread recipes!) and no added refined sugar.
Happy Easter and hope you all had a wonderful long weekend.
Makes 6-8 slices of bread or 6 muffins
1.5 Cups Organic wholemeal flour
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Raw Honey
1/4 Cup Butter, light melted
1 Organic Egg
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1/4 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Mixed Spice
1 Lime, zested and juiced
1 Tsp Vanilla Paste
1/2 Cup of Sultanas
- Pre-heat oven to 180c
- In a bowl add the flour and make well in the middle.
- In another bowl add milk, honey, butter, egg, baking powder, bicarb of soda, cinnamon, mixed spice, lime and vanilla paste and whisk with either a hand whisk or electric on. Mix well until all blended together.
- Add the sultanas, slowly pour the wet mix into the flour-well and mix slowly together until a doughie mixture.
- Spoon into silicon muffin tins or a small lined loaf tin.
- To make the cross. Mix some extra flour with water to make a dough. Roll into sausages and place on top of loaf to make cross.
- Place in oven for 35 minutes until cooked through. Check with a fork that it is all cooked through.
- Serve hot with butter straight out of the oven, or you can freeze these little numbers for later.