In Sydney, the nights are getting chillier and the days are taking longer to heat up. Although we have had some fantastic bluebird days, a few are coming down with flu/cold like symptoms.
I want to share with a really simple recipe that I have tweaked over the years which will throw some nutrients back into the mix and to help fight those colds and flu-like symptoms. The natural sweetness from the sweet potato and ginger and the spice from the chilli fused together is a match made in heaven. The selection of ingredients are great aids for joints, skin and depression.
*Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegetarian and Vegan Friendly
1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
1 Red Onions, finely chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, finely chopped
1 Red Chilli, roughly chopped
4 Thumbs Worth of Fresh Ginger, roughly chopped
1 Large Sweet Potato, roughly chopped, skins left on
1 Cup Goji Berries
1L Vegetable Stock
1 Tbsp Coconut Cream (if vegan)
1 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt (if not vegan)
1. In a large sauce pan, melt coconut oil on a medium heat. Add onion, garlic, chilli and ginger. Place lid back on and let them sweat for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add roughly chopped sweet potato and sweat for a further 5 minutes.
3. Add stock and bring to the boil. Then add goji berries. Place lid back on and cook for a further 15 minutes.
4. Check to see if sweet potato is soft. Once soft, blitz with a whizz stick until smooth.
5. Serve with either a dollop of coconut cream (vegan friendly) or greek yoghurt and sprinkle of smoked paprika.