You can’t really go wrong with a lemon drizzle cake, whether its for high-tea, dessert or someones birthday. Its simple, cheap and easy to make. A handful of ingredients and it literally is about throwing into a mixing bowl, whizzing it up then popping it in a baking tin at 180c for 35 minutes and it is done and dusted.
*Gorgeous “Spread Love” Knife by House of Bec, you can buy here
I made a lemon drizzle cake as one of my great mates had her birthday and this is what she requested. What better chance than to experiment with my infamous lemon drizzle cake with a recipe that has been in the family for years.
Hope you enjoy it and do let me know if you give it a go.
Serves 6-8 Slices
For the cake you will need:
100g Softened Butter
100g Caster Sugar
100g Self Raising Flour, sifted
1 Lemon, zested
3/4 Tsp Baking Powder
2 Lg Free Range Eggs
For the Icing you will need:
80g Granulated Sugar
1 Lemon, juiced
1. Pre-heat oven to 180c
2. In a large mixing bowl add flour, caster sugar, baking powder, eggs, butter and zest from one lemon. If you have a electric whisk use this to beat it all together, if not make sure you have strong arms and beat until a smooth paste like consistency.
3. Grease loaf tin, then pour mixture into the tin
4. Pop in the pre-heated 180c oven for 30 minutes – 35 minutes, check to see if its springy after 30mins, you can stick a little skewer in to see if it runs clear, if so then its cooked.
5. Place immediately on wire rack and turn back to the right way around.
6. Make the icing whilst cake is still hot by mixing the lemon juice and granulated sugar together and pour over the top.
7. Leave to cool on wire rack and serve whenever needed.
8. Serve with Tea!
Want to get the look. See below some great baking equipment for the kitchen…0