I had to share this little number I whipped up within 5 minutes all from leftovers I had in the fridge. A perfect super food mood boosting supper which is a doddle to make. The sustainably sourced smoked mackerel is a great oily fish and superb for your joints and achey bones. The sweet potato has a generous source of vitamin C and magnesium and horseradish is a brilliant cold and flu buster so will indeed boost your immune system.
* I apologise for the quality of the photo as it was taken on my iPhone, we gobbled it down before I could really focus on the styling. I just had to share this delicious recipe with you all. Hope you like it.
2 Cups of pre-mashed sweet potato with skins on OR 1 Lg Sweet potato, roughly chopped, skins on, boiled then mashed
2 Sustainably sourced smoked mackerel fillet, skins off and de-boned
1 Tsp Horseradish Sauce
Sml Handful Fresh Parsley, roughly chopped
Sea Salt & Pepper
1 Lemon, quartered to serve
1. If you have some sweet potato mash left over use that, or roughly chop a large (400g) sweet potato, leave the skins on as they are great for you. Once soft, roughly mash (leave it a little chunky) with a splash of butter and chives (let it cool before you make the fish cakes). If you already have pre-made mash potato pop it in a bowl.
2. Flake the smoked mackerel fillets into the mash and add a the horseradish, parsley, a sprinkling of sea salt and a good grind of pepper. Smash together with a fork until all mixed in together.
3. Separate into 4 balls and then flatten to make a pattie.
4. Heat a non stick frying pan and add a dash of olive oil. Once hot add your patties and a lid. Let them fry either side until charred brown.
5. Serve on a bed of rocket and squeeze of lemon.1