In my mind root vegetable slaw with herby quinoa, homemade guacamole and a boiled egg drizzled with a light a Asian dressing is the perfect vegetarian light lunch to share.
Root vegetables and herbs have a hugely calming and restorative effect on the digestive system. This one in my mind is an absolute winner. Protein received from the eggs and quinoa and a good dose of vitamins thanks to all the raw veggies. Read more about root veggie and their benefits on the salad healing charts, here, here and here.
Hope you enjoy this little number.
1 Lg Carrot, finely sliced lengthways
2 Radishes, peeled with potato peeler
100g Red Cabbage, finely sliced lengthways
1/2 Avocado, Smashed
1/2 Cup Quinoa, cooked with 1 Cup Water
1 Free Range Egg, hard boiled
Lg Handful Basil
Lg Handful Mint
1/4 Large Bullhorn Chilli, finely sliced
2 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
Salt & Pepper
2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
1. Grab your quinoa boil it down until all water has either evaporated or absorbed. For the hard boiled egg, I usually go for 6-7 minutes from when the water is boiling.
2. Finely slice the carrot and beetroot into matchstick width slices, keep it lengthways, place on a large plate. Gently peel the radishes with a potato peeler or your can finely slice. Whatever suits you.
3. Smash the avo with a fork on a chopping board add a squeeze of orange and season with a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Dollop on the plate.
4. When quinoa is ready, add 2 tbsp balsamic, salt and better and 4-5 torn leaves of mint and basil and mix together, season to taste with salt and pepper. Pop on the plate. Add remaining mint and basil to plate, sprinkle with chilli.
5. Boiled egg; peel and cut into quarter, pop on plate too.
6. For the dressing; add all ingredients into a small jar, shake well and just before you serve drizzle over dish.