I cannot get enough of rice paper rolls at the moment, not only are they simple to make, you can throw the simplest fresh ingredients together and make yourself a fab little wrap. Take it to work for a nutritious lunch. This is also a great one for kids lunch boxes.
I stuffed mine full of sustainably sourced smoked trout, ripe avocado, cucumber, mint and spinach, for the dressing I went with lemon, horseradish and greek yoghurt.
Wild trout is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which play an essential role in our body, omega 3’s help lower high blood pressure and cholesterol, aid mental health (this is a great dish to make around that time of the month!) it is also high in protein this is made up of amino acids. These amino acids help our bone, tissues and muscles be replaced or repaired consistently. The greens in this roll are essential fibre and vitamin C which helps boost the production of collagen. Avocado is a fabulous fatty acid, by incorporating this in many meals you will help increase the uptake of antioxidants into your system as well as do wonders for your skin and hairs, thanks to the vitamin E and beta-carotene.
4 Rice Paper Sheets
200g Smoked Rainbow Trout, ready to eat
1 Ripe Avocado, finely sliced
1 Cup Baby Spinach
1 Lebanese Cucumber, finely sliced
1/2 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
For the sauce:
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
1 Tsp Horseradish Cream
2 Tbsp Greek Yoghurt
- Be sure to prep all of your bits first before softening the rice papers. In a frying pan fill with just boiled and slightly cooled water. Add your first rice paper sheet for 10 seconds, completely submerge in the water. Then shake it dry (it should still be slightly firm).
- Place rice paper on a dry clean surface, I did mine on a big place. Time to load up your rice paper. Add the trout first in the middle of the paper sheet (about 10cm worth), followed by avocado, mint, spinach and cucumber.
- To fold the rice paper, fold two ends at once in and then fold the other sides in and roll. I found this video here the best at helping me get a tight roll.
- Continue process 2 and 3 for all of your rice paper rolls.
- To make the sauce simply mix lemon juice, horseradish and greek yoghurt together and season with salt and pepper.
- Cut your rolls in half and have your sauce for dipping.