My smokey Mexican baked eggs are a great excuse to gather your mates together and serve up a weekend feast for brunch at about one-tenth of the cost it would be to go out for breakkie.
My Smokey Mexican baked eggs accumulated from a little bit of play time in the kitchen. I love my baked eggs in so many ways; try my green baked ones here, eggs in a thing here, sweet potato rosti & poached eggs here, shakshuka & sardines here. All great leakfast or brunch ideas!!
These ones are simple to make, consisting of onion, red capsicum, chickpeas, a few spices, eggs and finely grated parmesan. A perfect one for meatless mondays!
Eggs are a great protein and potassium fix which is great for recovery after sport, they fill you up and help repair damaged tissues, cells and to maintain a healthy immune system. Chickpeas as mentioned here are a nutritional powerhouse. Full to the brim of protein, fibre, B-vitamins, iron, potassium and are also low in fat. They can help support healthy digestion, help have slow release energy thanks to their low GI (great for people suffering from diabetes). Cooked tomatoes are high in the phytonutrient lycopene which helps fight heart disease and forms of cancer. Overall a nutritiously balanced breakkie.
Get sharing it with your buddies. They will love you for it.
1 Lg White Onion, diced
1 Red Capsicum, diced
1/2 Tbsp Souk Spice
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
3 Garlic cloves, chopped
1-2 Chillies, finely chopped
1 Tin Chickpeas, drained & washed
1 Tin Tomatoes
1/2 Tin water
1 Tbsp Honey
4 Organic Eggs
1/4 Cup Parmesan
1/2 Cup torn basil leaves to serve
1 Cup Organic Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 180c. Have a oven proof roasting tray ready to go. Grab a large frying pan, heat coconut oil. Add onions and fry until soft and fragrant. Add red capsicum and let is fry for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add souk spice and paprika and toss. Before adding chilli and garlic. Let all flavours amalgamate for 5 or so minutes.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, water and honey and bring to the boil they let it simmer.
- Season to taste this with salt and pepper and a little more honey if its tart.
- Pour tomato mix into a oven proof roasting tin. Make 4 holes for the 4 eggs. Carefully crack each egg into each hole. Finish off with good grating of parmesan and pepper.
- Whack in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve with torn basil leaves on top, cooling greek yoghurt and some sourdough toast, or homemade guacamole to bulk dish out.