This my friends is an absolute winning dish, spicy and sweet chicken quinoa, packed with cabbage, garlic and chilli and quinoa cooked in chicken stock fried up and made crispy and served with a fried egg.
It is made from leftovers and is a perfect one to make with leftover chicken from either my beer can chicken or in my case I had left over chicken from this delicious sea salt and lemon roast chicken.
A great thrifty recipe designed for saving and to make more from your food.
1 cup quinoa (my preference is KeenWah)
3.5 cups Stock water
1tbsp coconut oil
1 fresh Chilli, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 sml onion, finely chopped
200g leftover roast chicken
1 tbsp bbq sauce
1 tbsp hot chilli sauce
1/4 white cabbage, finely chopped
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 organic eggs
- Get the quinoa on the boil first. In a large saucepan add quinoa and 3.5 cups of stock water. Let it boil down on a medium heat and all of the water absorb, should be about 20 minutes.
- During this time add the bbq sauce and hot sauce to the chicken and let it marinate.
- 5 minutes before the quinoa is cooked. Add coconut oil to large frying pan. Add coconut oil and let it melt, then add chilli, onion and garlic. Let it fry until soft and fragrant. Then add the chicken, let it go a little crispy and caramelised before adding the cabbage, allow it to sweat slightly and soften down.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the frying pan and soy sauce. Stir well.
- In another small frying pan, add 1 tsp coconut oil add the eggs and let them fry until cooked.
- Pop eggs on top. Add a little more chilli sauce on top of the eggs and an optional sprinkling of mint leaves