I have had a secret obsession with greek style food ever since I went to The Apollo for my birthday back in July, see the blog post here. I thought that I would share with you a Greek-inspired Rosedog super healthy dinner. Spicy lamb kebabs, red quinoa with spicy pumpkin and a banging greek salad, sided with some Rosedog hummus (recipe here) cooled down with tzatziki is guaranteed to blow your socks off. A fabulous dish to whip out when all of your mates are around for dinner, great for leftovers stuffed into a pita bread wrap for your smoko. Hope you enjoy this little healthy number.
500g Lamb Leg Steak, cubed
3/4 Cup Quinoa (I used red quinoa)
1/3 Sml Japanese Pumpkin, peeled and cubed
50g Feta, cubed
Large Handful Fresh Basil
Large Handful Fresh Mint
1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
3 Dollops of Greek Yoghurt
1 Cucumber, halved, de-seeded, finely sliced
1 Ripe Tomato, finely chopped
2 Capfuls Apple Cider Vinegar (see its benefits here)
1 Tbsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
1 Tsp Cumin
2 Tsp Coriander Seeds (dried)
Squirt of Honey
Sea Salt and Pepper
1. Turn oven to 180c. In a small sauce pan add quinoa and 1.5cups of fresh water. Soak for 15 minutes, once soaked add pinch salt, boil down until all water fully absorbed, should be around 10 minutes. then just leave off heat to one side
2. Whilst quinoa is on the boil. In a pestle and mortar add paprika, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, cumin and coriander seeds. Smash up until fine.
Then add 3-4 mint leaves, smash until paste -like. Then add 1/3 Cup olive oil and small squirt of honey, make sure all mixed through.
3. Pour 3/4 of marinade over the cubed lamb and make sure all lamb is covered thoroughly, leave to sit for 30minutes to 1 hour.
4. Pour the other quarter of marinade over the pumpkin and pop on a baking tray and whack in the oven for 20 minutes until soft and slightly caramelly on the outside.
5. Greek Salad: In a bowl add tomatoes, cucumber, half handful of finely chopped mint, couple of finely chopped leaves of basil and the feta, add a good pinch of salt and pepper, apple cider vinegar and mix together. Season to taste
6. Quinoa : in another bowl add cooled cooked quinoa, pumpkin, garlic, large handful of finely chopped basil, salt, pepper and good squeeze of lemon and mix together. Season to taste.
7. Tzatiki: add 3 to 4 big dollops of greek yoghurt into a small bowl, a squeeze of lemon, salt, pepper and small handful of finely chopped mint leaves, mix and season to taste.
8. Place lamb cubes on skewer about 6-8 cubes per skewer.
Grab yourself a large griddle pan and heat on high with a dash of olive oil. Once hot add your lamb and let them sizzle for 4-5 minutes each side until cooked.
9. For the hummus head to my super simple recipe here.
Leave to rest and put all ingredients together and then finally you can dig in, tapas style!