Sticky chicken made using chinese five spice and honey on a bed of stir fried chinese cabbage, onion and carrots sided with some simple and healthy cauliflower carb free rice and topped with crunchy spiced kidney beans and fresh chilli.
This dish is a great mid-week evening feed and fab leftovers for lunch. Cheap and easy to make.
4 Skinless boneless free range chicken thighs
2 Tsp Chinese five spice, heaped
2 Tbsp Honey
1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
1 400g Tin Pineapple Slices, chopped into 1cm pieces, keep juice
1 400g Kidney Beans, drained and washed
3 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1 Cauliflower, grated
1 White Onion, finely sliced
4 Garlic Cloves, finely sliced
1 Carrot, finely sliced into matchstick size
1/2 Chinese Cabbage, finely chopped
2 Fresh Chilli, finely sliced
Handful Fresh Mint & Basil
1. In a mixing bowl, place chicken thighs, add one teaspoon of chinese five spice and make sure all chicken is covered in spice. Leave to sit for 10 minutes.
2. During this time, prepare the onion, carrot, garlic and put to one side.
3. Grate the cauliflower, either grate by hand or use food processor with grater option. Wring out in clean dry tea towel until partially dry.
4. Grab a large non stick sauce pan and add 2 tbsp coconut oil on a medium heat. Add half of the garlic cloves and fry until soft. Then add the cauliflower rice. Heat over a low heat for 10 or so minutes until browning. Then add 1 tbsp soy sauce and 1 tsp chilli flakes and mix well. Leave on very low heat.
5. Heat yourself a small non stick frying pan with a tbsp of coconut oil. Add chicken and cook for around 10 minutes (5 on each side) in the last minute add a good drizzle of honey for glazing. Place to one side.
6. Grab a mixing bowl and add the chopped pineapple slices plus half of the juice. Add 2 tbsp soy sauce, rice wine vinegar. Put to one side.
7. Wipe clean small non stick frying pan that had the chicken in. Toss the kidney beans in the rest of the Chinese five spice and add to a hot frying pan. Cook for 7 -10 minutes until brown and crispy.
8. Empty cauliflower rice from frying pan and wipe clean. Place back on heat with another tbsp of coconut oil. Add onions, garlic, carrot, fresh chilli and fry for 5 minutes. The add chinese cabbage and fry for a couple more minutes. Stir in pineapple mixture into veggies and heat for a couple more minutes.
9. Now time to load up your dish. Add the cauliflower rice first, then the fried kidney beans, then veggie stir fry, topped with sticky chicken which you can slice into smaller pieces, followed by mint, basil and fresh chilli. Serve with a side of soy sauce.