Roasted pumpkin is the bees knees!! I love the way it caramelises in the oven, add flavours too it and it takes the pumpkin to the next level.
In this case I roasted it with coconut oil and my spice favourites; Souk spice. I then roasted some organic tofu, marinated that in lemon juice, tahini, sesame seeds and basil and stuffed it in the pumpkin right at the end. The perfect vegan roast lunch for this sunday. It is simpler than it sounds and requires very little effort.
Pumpkin is a great source of carotenoids which are natural antioxidants, what this means is that they help your body protect itself from harmful oxidants. It is high in fibre and has a low GI, which is slow release energy and will keep you regular. Pumpkin is also a great source of potassium, which will help muscle and nerve function. Sesame and tahini are a great natural source of calcium, to keep you bones strong and healthy. Tofu adds that protein fix and basil will help give you a boost of vitamin C.
Hope you enjoy this little number.
For the roast pumpkin
1/4 Pumpkin, seeds scooped out
1 Tsp Souk Spice
1 Tbsp Coconut oil
For the tofu:
100g organic firm tofu, cubed
1 Tsp souk spice
1 Tsp smoked paprika
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 Tbsp coconut oil
Handful Basil leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
1 Tbsp Tahini
2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
- Preheat oven to 180c. In one baking tray run the pumpkin with coconut oil and souk spice and whack in the oven for 30-35 minutes until soft to punch with a fork.
- Whilst the pumpkin in roasting. Roast the tofu at the same time. In a large baking tray, add cubed tofu, paprika, souk spice, garlic and good sprinkling of salt and pepper followed by coconut oil. Mix well with hands until all tofu bits are covered. Roast in the oven for 30 minutes until crispy.
- Once roasted, remove both from oven. Leave tofu to cool for 5 minutes before transferring them into a large mixing bowl. Add tahini, lemon juice, sesame seeds and basil leaves and toss the roasted tofu in with it. Ensure tofu is all covered.
- Stuff into natural hole in pumpkin and finish with a sprinkling of salt and pepper and extra basil.
- Serve with a green salad.