I have a hug in a mug coming at cha! Tomato soup is so simple to make. It is time savvy and one to warm the cockles at lunch time or healthy supper (minus the grilled cheese toast!)Cheap too.
Hope you enjoy.
For the soup:
1 Glug Olive Oil
1 Onion, roughly chopped
3 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Bag Tomatoes (about 8), roughly chopped
2 Punnets Cherry Tomatoes, halved
1 Tin Tomatoes
1 Litre Chicken or Veggie Stock
Handful Basil Leaves, roughly chopped
Salt & Pepper
Heaped Tbsp Sugar
For the optional cheesy basil toast:
2 Slices bread
Ready Made Pesto
2 Slices Gruyere Cheese
1. In a large sauce pan, medium heat, large glug of olive oil. When heated add onions and cook with lid on until soft. Add garlic.
2. Add bag of toms and cherry toms to pan and heat until broken and soft.
3. Add tin of toms and heat until bubbling.
4. Add stock and heat for 20 minutes. Add sugar and salt and pepper. Season to taste if needs be with more sugar, pepper or salt.
5. Add handful of basil and blitz with magi-whisk until smooth.
6. For the toast, smother two sides of bread with ready made pesto (inside). Add the gruyere cheese in the middle.
7. Heat griddle pan and lightly oil. Cook cheese toast for a couple of minutes each side until cheese is oozing out. If not working well use a small sauce pan to squish it down into griddle pan.