I love you from my head to-ma-toes!! Tomatoes are one of my favourite fruits and I absolutely love them for breakfast, lunch or supper. The other half is not a fan of them, so whilst he away in the mines for work, I try and get my monthly dose of tomatoes before he returns. Roasted tomatoes on toast is a fabulous meal throughout the day and is definitely one of my favourites. It was one that my mum used to always make, a sense of nostalgia in every bite, takes me back to age 13, these little bad boys fresh out of the oven and popped onto some buttered toast. They take less that 2 minutes to prepare and 20 minutes cooking time. You have yourself a winning feed within half an hour.
The other tomato favourite is tomatoes and cheese in a delicious freshly baked croissant, stuffed with swiss cheese, basil and a dollop of mustard.
Hope this gives you some inspiration this Monday.
Ingredients for Roasted Tomatoes:
2 Ripe Vine Tomatoes, halved
Dried Herbs or Fresh Basil, finely chopped
Drop of Honey
Salt & Pepper
2 Slices of Toast or Guilt & Carb Free Bread (recipe here)
1. Turn oven to 180c. On a small baking tray, place halved tomatoes.
2. Add a small knob of butter, herbs, salt, pepper a pea sized drop of honey on each tomato.
3. Whack in the oven for 20 minutes until browned and soft. Serve on a piece to toasted bread or try some of my guilt free almost carb free bread here.
Tomato & Swiss Cheese Croissant:
Ingredients for the Tomato & Swiss Cheese Croissant:
1 Croissant, fresh
Half a Ripe Vine Tomato, sliced
1 Slice Yarlsberg Cheese
3 or 4 Fresh Basil Leaves
1 Tsp Maille Mustard
1. Slice open croissant, spread mustard, add cheese, tomato and basil leaves, sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Serve for breakkie with some fresh orange juice and coffee.0