Veggie nachos were screaming at me this week to make them. I also wanted to experiment with a few herbs and spices and I have to say so myself these little numbers are absolute winners.
A fabulous accompaniment to a Mexican style feast for all your mates. Simple and cheap to make and I promise you will not be missing on the meat element, they are meaty enough, thanks to the beefy-chickpeas! My homemade holy guacamole and sexy salsa goes so well too with them. Here are their recipes.
Hope you Enjoy
Serves 4 for starters
1 Tin Chickpeas, drained and washed
1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
1 Red Onion, finely Chopped
2 Tsp Chilli Paste
2 Tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tsp All Spice
1 Tsp Stock Powder
1 Tbsp Honey
1 Cup Plain Nachos (per person)
1/2 Cup Strong Vintage Cheddar
1 Sml Handful Basil Leaves
Salt & Pepper
For the Guacamole, recipe is here
1. Turn oven on to 180c. Grab yourself a large non stick frying pan. Add a large glug of olive oil. Once hot add onions and garlic and fry until softish. Then add chilli, paprika and all spice. Heat for 3 minutes to get all flavours bouncing around.
2. Add Chicken peas and heat for a few minutes, making sure they are being tossed around in the onion mixture.
3. Add tin tomatoes, honey and stock powder. Bring to boil and slowly simmer for 10 minutes. Mash the chick peas slightly with potato masher to ensure they are squished.
4. Taste, if a little tart still, add another small squirt of honey. Should be a slightly spicy, sweet and smoky flavour.
5. During this time pop nachos and cheese into oven in an oven proof dish to heat up until the cheese is bubbling.
6. Take nachos out of the oven. Smother them with chickpea mixture and another sprinkling of cheese. Finish off with a big dollop of guacamole, sour cream is optional too.
7. Whilst hot. Goes swimming well with a couple of frozen margaritas! Try Martha Stewart’s as she has one of my fave recipes.