As you have probably guessed I love eggs. It does come in waves and some weeks I like them more than others. However there are just so many great egg recipes that I have been creating recently that I have to share with you.
My zingy poached eggs are a fabulous addition to any breakkie roster! Sourdough toast, loaded with spinach, runny poached eggs and topped with some homemade zingy capsicum salsa.
Eggs as I have said a number of times before are fabulous post work out, they are high protein and contain a sufficient amount of amino acids and potassium which will help repair tissue and muscles post-exercise. Spinach (as well as other leafy greens) are packed with vitamins, minerals and fibre which is great for digestive health. Capsicum has the highest source of vitamin c (even better than oranges!). Enjoy this little mood boosting dish any morning of the week.
2 Organic Eggs
3 Mini Red/Orange/Yellow Bell peppers (or 1/2 red capsicum), finely diced
1 Tsp Coconut oil
1/2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper
2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 Tsp Honey
1 Cup Baby Spinach/Kale Washed
2 Slices Sourdough toast (optional)
The secret is to get everything ready to go. The bread in the toaster, the pan boiling for poached eggs and heat a small frying pan with coconut oil for the capsicum.
For the Eggs:
- Preheat a small saucepan full of boiling water and one tbsp of apple cider vinegar for the poached eggs. I have recently discovered a faultless way to poach eggs (see post here) for those who missed it. Over a bowl rest a flour sieve. Crack your eggs into the sieve to get rid of any excess egg white.
- This stops it from going wispy in your pan boiling water.
- Tip egg into a ladle or small mug which will be used to lower into the pan. Once water has boiled take pan of heat and make a whirl pool.
- Slowly pour raw eggs into whirl pool, them sit in hot water (off the heat) for about a minute before bringing them back onto the heat for 3-4 minutes depending how runny you like your yolks.
For the zingy salsa:
- Whilst eggs are poaching, pop the toast down. Add capsicum to frying pan and let is sautèed for 5ish minutes until soft. Add 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar and honey and let is slightly caramelise (be careful not to burn) for a few more minutes before adding cayenne pepper (season to taste with some salt or more pepper)
- Load up your plate with toast (optional butter) followed by spinach, poached eggs, then zingy salsa.